INDIANAPOLIS — Chris Ballard put his words to action on Saturday evening, wrapping up the 2018 NFL Draft with a massive 11-player draft class chock-full of prospects ready to come in and develop and compete for jobs.
With a heavy emphasis on the offensive and defensive fronts early on, the team was able to add some serious athletes to various skill positions on the draft’s final day, giving the Colts a well-rounded draft class across the board.
This draft is just the latest step in Ballard’s plan to completely restructure the Colts’ roster into what he hopes is once again a consistent winner — and soon.
So as the team wraps up Week 1 of Phase 2 of its offseason workout program, followed by its annual rookie minicamp on May 11-13, let’s take a step back a position-by-position look at the state of the offseason roster following the draft (UPDATED, 5/2: the Colts' 10 initial undrafted college free agent signings are also now included in this list):
OFFENSE • Quarterbacks (4): Jacoby Brissett, Brad Kaaya, Andrew Luck, Phillip Walker
Notes: No changes since the start of the 2018 offseason.• Running backs (6): Josh Ferguson, Nyheim Hines, Marlon Mack, Christine Michael, Robert Turbin, Jordan Wilkins
Notes: The Colts added Hines (fourth round) and Wilkins (fifth round) in this year’s draft, while they re-signed Michael in free agency.
• Wide receivers (13): Dres Anderson, K.J. Brent, Deon Cain, Daurice Fountain, Steve Ishmael, Ryan Grant, T.Y. Hilton, Krishawn Hogan, Seantavius Jones, Kolby Listenbee, Chester Rogers, DeAndre Smelter, James Wright
Notes: The Colts added Cain (sixth round) and Fountain (fifth round) in this year’s draft; they signed Grant in free agency; Jones, Smelter and Wright were all added as reserve/future signings this offseason; the also signed Ishmael as an undrafted college free agent.
• Tight ends (7): Mo Alie-Cox, Darrell Daniels, Jack Doyle, Eric Ebron, Mo Alie-Cox, Ross Travis, Jason Vander Laan
Notes: The Colts added Ebron in free agency.
• Offensive line (15): Deyshawn Bond, Tyreek Burwell, Anthony Castonzo, Le'Raven Clark, Anthony Fabiano, Mark Glowinski, Denzelle Good, Joe Haeg, Ryan Kelly, Jack Mewhort, Quenton Nelson, Matt Slauson, Braden Smith, Jeremy Vujnovich, Isaiah Williams
Notes: The Colts added Nelson (first round) and Smith (second round) in this year’s draft; they re-signed Mewhort in free agency; they signed Slauson in free agency.
DEFENSE • Defensive line (14): Denico Autry, Tarell Basham, Margus Hunt, Anthony Johnson, Tomasi Laulile, Tyquan Lewis, Josh Perry, Caraun Reid, Hassan Ridgeway, Jabaal Sheard, John Simon, Grover Stewart, Kemoko Turay, Al Woods
Notes: The Colts added Lewis (second round) and Turay (second round) in this year’s draft; they signed Autry in free agency; they also signed Laulile as an undrafted college free agent.
• Linebackers (10): Matthew Adams, Tyrell Adams, Zaire Franklin, Jeremiah George, Najee Goode, Darius Leonard, Skai Moore, Antonio Morrison, William Ossai, Anthony Walker
Notes: The Colts added Leonard (second round), Adams (seventh round) and Franklin (seventh round) in this year’s draft; they signed Adams and Goode in free agency; they also signed Moore and Ossai as undrafted college free agents.
• Cornerbacks (10): Kenneth Acker, Pierre Desir, Lashard Durr, Nate Hairston, Robert Jackson, Chris Milton, Kenny Moore II, Henry Toliver, D.J. White, Quincy Wilson
Notes: The Colts re-signed Desir in free agency; they signed Acker in free agency; and they signed Durr, Jackson and Toliver as undrafted college free agents.
• Safeties (7): Chris Cooper, Matthias Farley, Clayton Geathers, T.J. Green, Malik Hooker, Ronald Martin, George Odum
Notes: The Colts signed Cooper and Odum as undrafted college free agents.
SPECIAL TEAMS • Kicker (2): Michael Badgley, Adam Vinatieri
• Punter (1): Rigoberto Sanchez
• Long snapper (1): Luke Rhodes
Notes: The Colts signed Badgley as an undrafted college free agent.