TITANS RB CHRIS JOHNSON, RAIDERS S MICHAEL HUFF &
JETS K NICK FOLK NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF WEEK 5
Running back CHRIS JOHNSON of the Tennessee Titans, safety MICHAEL HUFF of the Oakland Raiders and kicker NICK FOLK of the New York Jets are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played the fifth week of the 2010 season (October 10-11), the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: RB CHRIS JOHNSON, TENNESSEE TITANS
- Johnson rushed for 131 yards on 19 carries (6.9 average) with two touchdowns in a 34-27 win over Dallas.
- Johnson had 100 rushing yards for the seventh consecutive game on the road.
- He posted his 28th and 29th career rushing touchdowns on a pair of one-yard TD runs in the fourth quarter, passing MIKE ROZIER (27) and tying LORENZO WHITE (29) for the fourth-most rushing TDs in team history.
- In his 36th career game, Johnson recorded his 19th 100-yard rushing performance.
- Through Week 5, Johnson ranks second in the NFL with 485 rushing yards (ARIAN FOSTER, 564).
- In his third season from East Carolina, this is Johnson's second career Player of the Week Award. He previously won the award in 2009 (Week 8).
DEFENSE: S MICHAEL HUFF, OAKLAND RAIDERS
- In a key AFC West matchup against the Chargers, Huff had a team-high 11 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble in a 35-27 win over San Diego.
- With 1:10 remaining in the game, Huff recorded a sack which resulted in a fumble by San Diego quarterback PHILIP RIVERS on the Raiders' 36-yard line. Raiders safety TYVON BRANCH scooped up the fumble and raced 64 yards for the score that sealed the victory.
- Helped the Raiders register their first win against the Chargers since September 28, 2003.
· In his fifth year from Texas, this is Huff's first career Player of the Week Award. He is the first Raiders defensive back to win the award since PHILLIP BUCHANON in 2003 (Week 11).
SPECIAL TEAMS: K NICK FOLK, NEW YORK JETS
- In a primetime game on Monday Night Football, Folk made a career-high five field goals (25, 53, 22, 34, 31) in a 29-20 win against Minnesota.
- Folk connected on a 53-yard field goal in the second quarter, his longest field goal as a Jet.
- His 53-yard field goal tied his career-long, which he set in his rookie season with a game winner on Monday Night Football against Buffalo on October 8, 2007.
- Through Week 5, Folk leads the NFL with 49 points and is tied for a league high with 12 field goals.
- In his fourth season from Arizona, this is Folk's second career Player of the Week Award. He previously won the award in 2007 (Week 5) with the Dallas Cowboys. Other nominees for AFC Offensive Player of Week 5:
· Cincinnati running back CEDRIC BENSON, who rushed for 144 yards on 23 attempts (6.3 average) in a 24-21 loss against Tampa Bay.
· San Diego wide receiver MALCOM FLOYD, who had eight receptions for 213 yards (26.6 average) with one touchdown.
· Buffalo quarterback RYAN FITZPATRICK, who completed 20 of 30 passes (66.7 percent) for 220 yards with three touchdowns versus zero interceptions and a 121.5 passer rating in a 36-26 loss to Jacksonville.
· Jacksonville quarterback DAVID GARRARD, who completed 16 of 20 passes (80.0 percent) for 178 yards with three touchdowns versus one interception and a 122.5 passer rating in a 36-26 win against Buffalo.
· Denver quarterback KYLE ORTON, who completed 23 of 38 passes (60.5 percent) for 314 yards with two touchdowns versus zero interceptions and a 104.5 passer rating.
· Baltimore running back RAY RICE, who rushed for 133 yards on 27 attempts (4.9 average) with two touchdowns in a 31-17 win against Denver.
· San Diego quarterback PHILIP RIVERS, who completed 27 of 42 passes (64.3 percent) for 431 yards with two touchdowns versus zero interceptions and a 114.3 passer rating.
Other nominees for AFC Defensive Player of Week 5:
- Tennessee defensive tackle JASON JONES, who posted seven tackles and two sacks.
- Jacksonville defensive end AARON KAMPMAN, who had a team-high 10 tackles and 1.5 sacks.
- Denver linebacker D.J. WILLIAMS, who registered a team-high 15 tackles.
Other nominees for AFC Special Teams Player of Week 5:
- Jacksonville kicker JOSH SCOBEE, who tied a career high and franchise record with five made field goals (49, 49, 34, 40, 46).
- Indianapolis kicker ADAM VINATIERI, who made all four field goals (20, 24, 47, 42) in a 19-9 win over Kansas City.