INDIANAPOLIS – Just how much will the phrase "deadlines spur action" apply to Chris Ballard and the Colts this week?
That is a question we will begin to receive answers to over the next 72 hours.
Free agency around the NFL begins Thursday at 4:00 p.m. EST.
Teams now have three days to re-sign their own free agents before the sharks around the league come swimming on the open market.
As the Colts head into free agency week, they've yet to re-sign any of their nine unrestricted free agents.
The 2017 UFAs for the Colts are as followed:
- S-Mike Adams:At 35 years old, Adams wants to keep playing. Do the Colts see the need for a fourth season in Indianapolis with the veteran safety?
- S/CB-Darius Butler!(/team/roster/darius-butler/e0aff4a2-5477-400b-8921-59e9d8eadc02/ "Darius Butler"):The move to safety seems to be a very realistic possibility for Butler, no matter where he plays next season. Despite being north of 30 years old, Butler's new-found flexibility in the secondary will be attractive going into free agency.
- OLB-Trent Cole!(/team/roster/trent-cole/bb152902-724e-4bcc-87d7-f1bd1a957bfb/ "Trent Cole")Like Adams, Cole talks like a guy who definitely wants to keep on playing. Cole, 34, returned from a September back injury to record two sacks in the final month of the season.
- TE-Jack Doyle!(/team/roster/jack-doyle/1d440dc4-8c2e-4e3c-8b3a-811a80e3f013/ "Jack Doyle")One of the most highly productive free agents, early reports indicate that Doyle will test the open market. This will be one of the biggest free agent decisions to watch as Thursday’s deadline nears.
- RB-Robert Turbin!(/team/roster/robert-turbin/4a8ff6d4-45ce-40ba-926f-44779fc118c0/ "Robert Turbin")Turbin has expressed a desire to compete for a starting running back position, but also has stated he wants to come back to the Colts for a second season. Those two things (probably) don't match up in Indy this coming fall. Turbin was very solid in playing right behind Gore in 2017.
- OLB-Erik Walden!(/team/roster/erik-walden/c3516e1a-3cc9-432a-b693-f6bb56ec15fe/ "Erik Walden") The money signs should be gleaming from Walden's eyes. Last week, several of the NFL's top pass rushers were nabbed with the franchise tag. If Walden tests the open market, he will be one of the top free agent sack guys in 2017.
With the Colts not using the franchise tag last week, they will have until Thursday's afternoon deadline to re-sign any of the names above.
Agents of these free agents, and all FA's around the league, can begin talking with other teams starting Tuesday afternoon, during the NFL's 52-hour legal tampering period.*
*The Colts also have three restricted free agents in 2017: C-Jonotthan Harrison, DL-Zach Kerr and ILB-Josh McNary. They have two exclusive rights free agents in WR/KR-Quan Bray and TE-Mo Alie-Cox.
The analysis from those producing content on Colts.com does not necessarily represent the thoughts of the Indianapolis Colts organization. Any conjecture, analysis or opinions formed by Colts.com content creators is not based on inside knowledge gained from team officials, players or staff. **