INDIANAPOLIS --- It's week three of the preseason, a regular season game-week dress rehearsal for the Indianapolis Colts, ahead of Saturday's home preseason game against the New Orleans Saints.
It's also the last full week for many players trying to impress enough to make the first cuts. Rosters must be reduced from 90 to 75 before 4:00 p.m. New York time Tuesday, August 26th. But before we jump into one of the most important weeks of the preseason, let's catch you up on the weekend's top headlines.
In Case You Missed It:
- Losing is never okay: "Preseason, regular season, unacceptable. We will never get used to that." That was Chuck Pagano's impassioned post-game locker room message, following the Colts 27-26 loss to the Giants Saturday night, after the Colts led 26-0 in the 4th quarter. You can watch Coach Pagano's post-game locker room speech by clicking here (it was great stuff).
- Punter Pat McAfee!(/team/roster/pat-mcafee/4b0d5e9f-3c5a-4d39-beba-47f0605cf32f/ "Pat McAfee") may have been trying to match the NFL record with a 64-yard field goal attempt with 10 seconds left in the game, but he did not mince words about missing it slightly wide left.
- Nevertheless, Coach Pagano gave the "Boomstick" strong support after the missed attempt. "Before this season's over, he's going to hit a game-winner from 60 yards. I guarantee you." I watched that attempt at Lucas Oil Stadium from the field Saturday night. It had a couple yards to spare. If he gets a chance week one in Denver, I honestly believe his range is a few yards farther than the NFL record for longest field goal held by the Broncos' Matt Prater at 64-yards, especially at mile-high elevation.
- The Colts first and second team offenses scored 20 points on the Giants in the first half. Colts.com beat writer Kevin Bowen breaks down those drives here.
- The Colts may have had the 26th ranked rushing defense in 2013, but it has looked darn good in the preseason, especially after Saturday night's first half. Art Jones said after the game, "We talk about (stopping the run), being a bunch of bullies." The Colts held the Giants to 2.9 yards per carry. That's not inflated by back-ups either. Even in the first half, the Colts still held the Giants rushers to 3.2 yards per carry, fantastic numbers.
- Wide receiver Hakeem Nicks!(/team/roster/hakeem-nicks/ae43c847-c44a-4a5f-8627-4a1efe5a4f36/ "Hakeem Nicks") showed why T.Y. Hilton said the Colts have three #1 wideouts this year Saturday night, with five catches for 53 yards from Andrew Luck. Hilton and Reggie Wayne did not play, but it was still an eye-opening performance for Nicks. Anybody else want to take a coach's quote completely out of context? Yeah, I think Nicks is in game-shape.
- Quote of the weekend: Andrew Luck on whether he was looking for Hakeem Nicks more, since he was playing his old team- "A couple of guys on the team asked me that. [They said], 'You were giving it to Hakeem on purpose, huh?' I think you give it to the open guy on purpose."
- Weekend Roster Move: addition at running back, who already has a 101-yard kick return for a touchdown as a Colt, the 4th longest kick return in Colts history.