INDIANAPOLIS – One more hurdle remains for Andrew Luck to receive final clearance from the concussion protocol.
Luck, who is expected to play against the Jets this week, will see an independent neurologist on Friday afternoon---the final step in finishing the protocol.
Friday was a walk-through practice for the Colts as they have an extra day to work with this week in playing on Monday night.
Here is the Friday notebook with Chuck Pagano meeting the media for the final time this week:**
- OLB-Trent Cole (back): Cole continues to practice and isn't even listed on the team's injury report. He's the guy to earn some reps if Robert Mathis remains out.
- CB-Vontae Davis (groin): Davis is expected to play on Monday.
- S-Clayton Geathers (concussion/neck): While Geathers still must clear the final step in the concussion protocol, the neck injury is a separate issue. If the Colts would have had practice on Friday, Geathers would not have practiced.
- G-Denzelle Good (neck): The team's starting right guard has practiced all week.
- WR-T.Y. Hilton (lower back): Hilton is on track to play this week.
- C-Ryan Kelly (shoulder): Both Good and Kelly should return against the Jets.
- QB-Andrew Luck (concussion): The Luck update is below.
- OLB-Robert Mathis (bicep): Chuck Pagano said there remains a question on Mathis playing this week. Mathis has yet to practice.
- CB-Patrick Robinson (groin): Robinson played in the team's loss to the Steelers, but hasn't practiced since.
Chuck Pagano on Andrew Luck's situation:
"He's still going through the protocol, will see an independent (neurologist on Friday)."
Bowen's Analysis: While Luck hasn't been officially cleared from the concussion protocol, more signs continue to point towards that happening. On Thursday afternoon, the Colts waived quarterback Stephen Morris. That leaves just Luck and Scott Tolzien as the quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. If the Colts had doubt on Luck playing this week, they would not have parted ways with a third healthy quarterback.
The Colts will have a final practice on Saturday. Due to the Monday night game, the team's last injury report for this week will come on Saturday, too. With Luck continuing to progress through the protocol and Morris no longer on the 53-man roster, No. 12 is the likely guy under center for the Colts on Monday.Chuck Pagano on the play of Dwayne Allen this season:
"We all know what Dwayne is capable of.
"It's like anybody else, it's consistency, stacking good game after good game."
Bowen's Analysis: Last Thursday was a night to forget for several of the Colts skill guys. The same shouldn't be said for Dwayne Allen. After struggling in recent weeks, Allen had a nice outing on Thanksgiving (5 catches in 6 targets for 49 yards).
This upcoming stretch is why the Colts re-signed Allen. You are facing physical defensive fronts, so an in-line presence like Allen is needed. At the same time, Allen showed last week that he can still be a security blanket on important downs. We will see if Allen can build off last week's performance with the Colts needing their versatile tight end for the offense to reach its potential.
Chuck Pagano on watching the Houston game this Sunday:
"We are going to take care of what we need to take care of on Sunday.
"There will be breaks during those days and depending on what we need to take care of, if you happen to catch a game, you catch a game."
Bowen's Analysis: When the Colts land in New York on Sunday afternoon, the Texans and Packers will be just wrapping things up at Lambeau Field. Safe to say, the Colts traveling party will be shifting off of airplane mode pretty quickly in search of a score from Green Bay.
With how Houston's schedule looks the rest of the way, this trip to Green Bay is probably their most difficult. A loss for the Texans (6-5) on Sunday and a win for the Colts (5-6) on Monday, would put three teams tied atop the AFC South, at 6-6, with four games to go. The Titans (6-6) have a bye this week.**
The Colts had just a walk-through on Friday, so the following practice report is an estimation. The final practice of the week will come on Saturday, with the injury status for this week's game to follow.
DNP: S-Clayton Geathers (concussion), OLB-Robert Mathis (bicep), CB-Patrick Robinson (groin)
LIMITED: DT-Hasaan Ridgeway (back)
FULL: CB-Vontae Davis (groin), G-Denzelle Good (shoulder), WR-T.Y. Hilton (back), C-Ryan Kelly (shoulder), QB-Andrew Luck (right shoulder/concussion), CB-Chris Milton (foot)