Coach Dungy Recognizes 22 Scholarship Recipients
INDIANAPOLIS – For 22 Indiana students and their parents, September 29 was a very special day. At the Conrad Hotel in Downtown Indianapolis, Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy hosted the 2nd Annual Carson Scholars Awards Dinner to recognize these students as recipients of a 2008 scholarship from the Indianapolis Chapter of the Carson Scholars Fund (CSF).
Coach Dungy and his wife, Lauren, started the Indianapolis Chapter of CSF in 2005 to reward Indiana students for their outstanding academic and community achievements. To date, the Dungy's have helped raise more than $620,000 for the Indianapolis Chapter, providing endowments at 4 Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) and awarding 42 individual scholarships.
During the Awards Dinner, Coach Dungy congratulated each scholarship recipient and provided them with a medal and certificate to recognize their achievement. Dr. Eugene White, the Superintendent of IPS, also attended the event and spoke briefly to the students, encouraging them to continue to reach for their dreams and make a positive impact in their schools.
After dinner, Dungy took time to greet each scholar, their families and school representatives. He asked each of the students to be leaders not only in their schools, but in their community and beyond.
The Colts would like to offer special thanks to Scott Sander, Daybreak anchor for WISH-TV, for emceeing the event, and to the Conrad Indianapolis – for their continued support of CSF.
Congratulations to this year's recipients:
- Kaitlyn Batt - Huntington North High School
- Kennedy Brackin - Avon Intermediate School West
- Stacia Braden - Maconaquah Middle School
- Charlotte Colt - East Tipp Middle School
- Corbin Cox - North Salem Elementary School
- William Fitzgerald - St. Joseph Catholic School
- Kylie Gahimer - Waldron Elementary School
- Julie Gleason - Wabash Middle School
- Robert Hawthorne - Crispus Attucks Medical Magnet High School
- Kendra Hedge - Sheridan High School
- Melissa Horn - Carl Wilde School #79
- Anthony Hornbeak - Willard Gambold Middle School
- Apelles Johnson - Northwest High School
- Cody LeClerc - Shelbyville Central High School
- Nancy McNamara - St. Joseph - St. Elizabeth School
- Dale Oldfather - H. L. Harshman Middle School
- Samantha Rahrig - St. Joseph - St. Elizabeth School
- Nathan Schaecher - Maple Elementary School
- Kahle Servies - Roncalli High School
- Schuyla Sharp - Bon Air Middle School
- Adaleena Sibande - Clarence Farrington Elementary School
- Joseph Teeple - Triton Jr.-Sr. High School
About the Carson Scholars Fund
Founded by world renowned pediatric neurosurgeon Dr. Benjamin Carson and his wife, Candy, the Carson Scholars Fund recognizes and rewards students, grades 4-11, with college scholarships for academic and humanitarian achievements. For more information, please visit www.carsonscholars.org.