INDIANAPOLIS – What had T.Y. Hilton hooting and hollering on Wednesday?
Donte Moncrief's outstanding Wednesday did---at Day Two of the Colts minicamp.
Players once again not participating on Wednesday included Andrew Luck, Jacoby Brissett, T.Y. Hilton, Denzelle Good, Frank Gore, Jack Mewhort, Brian Schwenke, Hassan Ridgeway, Malik Hooker, Clayton Geathers, Kendall Langford, Marlon Mack and Akeem Ayers.
After two days on the practice field, Thursday is supposed to a light day of work for the Colts, before they break for summer vacation.
Here are some minicamp observations after two days on the practice field:
- Donte Moncrief Shines On Wednesday:T.Y. Hilton (hamstring) was sidelined on Wednesday, but he was heard a lot. That's because his locker mate Donte Moncrief was making play after play. Moncrief looked dominant for much of Wednesday, in what was a much better day for the Colts backup quarterbacks. The highlight-filled day for Moncrief came after Tuesday's practice, which he called the toughest of his career. After going to bed at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Moncrief made the most of a very well-rested night.
- Colts Love Robert Turbin:With Frank Gore missing minicamp, the Colts have leaned heavily on Robert Turbin. That's just fine with Rob Chudzinski. The offensive coordinator says Turbin has had a "hell" of an offseason. Are more reps coming for Turbin in 2017? It very well could happen after all the chatter we've heard this offseason.
- Clark and Haeg Trudging Along:Offensive coordinator* *Rob Chudzinski still says his mind is wide open on the right side starting spots. But we continue to witness the second-year duo of Joe Haeg and Le'Raven Clark at right guard and right tackle, respectively. An injury to Denzelle Good hasn't helped his case to compete for one of those spots. Haeg and Clark have to be considered the starters on the right side going into Training Camp.
- T.J. Green's Reps?:T.J. Green has been almost exclusively with the second unit during minicamp. It's been Matthias Farley absorbing the open reps with Malik Hooker and Clayton Geathers sidelined right now. A duo of Darius Butler and Farley once again were the starters on Wednesday. Once Hooker and Geathers do return, where does Green fit in, if Farley continues to be above him on the depth chart? Farley corralled an interception off a Kamar Aiken dropped pass on Wednesday.
- Who Starts Opposite Vontae Davis?:Quincy Wilson is starting to show up more and more, but the rookie has not cemented himself in the starting lineup. Rashaan Melvin has been the top corner, opposite Davis. Guys like Tevin Mitchel and Chris Milton are other players seeing outside cornerback reps. Darryl Morris has been manning the nickel position. Wilson definitely has some ground to make up in Training Camp if he is to earn that No. 2 starting job from Melvin.
- Watch Chester Rogers: Injuries to T.Y. Hilton and Phillip Dorsett has pushed Chester Rogers into even more first-team work. The staff really likes Rogers, and what's not to like. The 2016 undrafted free agent continues to make plays. He's going to be a real threat for playing time in 2017 and could be the team's return guy as well, if roster mechanics get complicated.
The analysis from those producing content on Colts.com does not necessarily represent the thoughts of the Indianapolis Colts organization. Any conjecture, analysis or opinions formed by Colts.com content creators is not based on inside knowledge gained from team officials, players or staff.