INDIANAPOLIS — With Andrew Luck returning from shoulder surgery, a handful of new offensive players (including a shiny, new line) and a new, offensive-minded coaching staff, there is plenty to be optimistic about regarding the Indianapolis Colts' offense.
Today, we continue examining the fantasy football profiles of the primary fantasy-relevant Colts players.
Average draft position and positional rankings from FantasyPros. Projections are based on traditional lineups with PPR scoring.
K Adam Vinatieri
- Current ADP — 239
- Current Positional Rank — K13
- Games missed last season (2017) — 0*
- 2015 —16 games, 25-of-27 field goals (92.6%), 4 from 50+, 32-of-35 extra points (91.4%), 107 points
- 2016 —16 games, 27-of-31 field goals (87.1%), 7 from 50+, 44-of-44 extra points (100.0%), 125 points
- 2017 —15 games, 29-of-34 field goals (85.3%), 5 from 50+, 22-of-24 extra points (91.7%), 109 points
- Total —47 games, 81-of-92 field goals (88.0%), 16 from 50+, 98-of-103 extra points (95.1%), 341 points
- Average per game — 1.7-of-2.0 field goals (88.0%), 0.3 from 50+, 2.1-of-2.2 extra points (95.1%), 7.3 points
Vinatieri is always a solid fantasy option. In general, you want to find a kicker who's accurate and will give you something every week. Ideally, they would be part of a productive offense.
Vinatieri checks all of those boxes. In his Colts career (2006-present) he averages 117.4 standard points per season.
Since 2011, Vinatieri has gotten back in touch with the deep ball. He hits 4.1 field goals from 50-plus yards per year and is 74.4 percent from that distance.
Over the last 10 years, Vinatieri's fantasy rank is all over the place. He averages finishing as K8.1, and he has ranked as high as K2 and as low as K16.
With Andrew Luck returning, Vinatieri should outperform his current status as K13. If you remove 2015 and 2017 (when Luck only played seven games total), then Vinatieri averages out as K5.8 during Luck's career.
The fact that Vinatieri's age (45) still doesn't show, he plays indoors, has Luck coming back and the Colts' offense under Frank Reich and Nick Sirianni should be a much-improved unit means Vinatieri's status is pointing up.
***Vinatieri did not miss any games in 2017 due to injury. He did, however, only play in 15 games. In one contest, the Colts did not attempt any field goals or extra points.***
Other Colts 2018 Fantasy Previews:
4 Vinatieri, Adam K 6-0 212lbs 45yrs 22yrs South Dakota State