INDIANAPOLIS — Goosebumps came in large doses on Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium, where the Indianapolis Colts honored the 10th anniversary of its Super Bowl XLI championship team with a touching halftime ceremony.
It was the cherry on top to what had been a two-day period full of old stories and laughs, as the festivities had actually begun the night before with a dinner and reception at the team's facility on West 56th Street in Indianapolis.
With all the former players lined up wearing their white and blue Colts jerseys — the same ones they wore when they defeated the Chicago Bears, 29-17, on Feb. 4, 2007, in Miami — the one-by-one introductions at halftime on Sunday gave Colts fans everywhere a chance to recall their memories from a wild 2006 season, which included that crazy AFC Championship game against the New England Patriots, and, of course, the rain-soaked Super Bowl game itself.
Here's the top quotes from several key figures from that championship team who came to Indianapolis this past weekend to celebrate:
• "We have the best fans in the world, and this is your world champions, and no one will ever take that away from Indianapolis, Indiana: the world champion Colts!" — Colts Owner Jim Irsay, addressing the crowd during the halftime ceremony honoring the Super Bowl XLI team
• "I think any time they see anyone from that team or seeing them all here today totally brings it back in terms of the emotion that's tied to it. And that's what we love about football, is that it's not just football – it's memories and emotions and family. That's what we represented then and still represent now." — Colts Vice Chair and Owner Kalen Jackson
• "It's so tremendous to have everybody back together again to catch up, to see how everybody's doing, and to really have an opportunity to share all the wonderful memories that we had together." — Bill Polian, team president and general manager of the Super Bowl XLI champion Colts
• "Ten years ago, it was our time. And it's our time again. So special to celebrate with you again, our 10-year anniversary. This is a wonderful team — a tremendous team — but you were such a big part of it. It is so great to celebrate with you and enjoy this moment. Thank you for everything you did for you, and God bless all the Colts fans and our Super Bowl XLI team." — Tony Dungy, head coach of the Super Bowl XLI champion Colts, talking to the team's fans
• "People don't believe me; they say, 'Do you miss it?' I mean I miss more than anything, the guys, you miss the guys and being around them every day, but I really don't miss being on the field because I kind of left it all out there. I did it for a long time but the relationships are the greatest part of my 18 years of playing pro ball. There is not a game or a throw that was the greatest part for me, it was the relationships and fortunately those are never taken away, those are permanent so I feel very fortunate." — Quarterback Peyton Manning
Highlights from the Colts Super Bowl XLI halftime reunion.
• "It is rare, man. It is a rare thing and to be able as fortunate as we were with a nucleus of guys that we were with for as long as we were with and together and to be able to celebrate this one, it doesn't get better." — Center Jeff Saturday
• "That team, nobody cared about any personal accolades. We just wanted to find a way to win and guys just relied on each other. Brother in arms, find a way to get it done, refuse to lose, that's what I always say about that season, about that team. We're family man, we love each other, we're family." — Wide receiver Reggie Wayne
• "We had an opportunity to speak to the team yesterday and talk about how special 2006 was and how much everyone meant to everyone. Special time, special team. It is great to be back and celebrating with everybody." — Linebacker Gary Brackett
• "This is why it was all special. To come back and share stories, it's pretty amazing." — Tight end Dallas Clark
• "It's not the wins and the losses, it's the camaraderie that you build with these guys on the football field, but also off the football field. When you finally get everybody back together, it's like you haven't missed a beat." — Wide receiver Brandon Stokley