INDIANAPOLIS – The mantra of stopping the run is echoed by Chuck Pagano at nearly every press conference.
In an effort to enhance that on the field, the Colts chose Western Kentucky inside linebacker
At 6-0 and 254 pounds, Jackson has the makeup of a run-stuffing inside linebacker.
Below are five quick takeaways from the newest member of the Colts:
1. Listed at 254 pounds, Jackson appears to have the prototypical size for an inside 3-4 linebacker. Ryan Grigson has talked about finding the right type of bodies up front for this defensive scheme and Jackson fits that back at linebacker.
2. In his three seasons as a starter, Jackson piled up more than 300 tackles along with 43 tackles for a loss. He has the appearance of a run stopper, similar to a role we saw
3. Ray Lewis defined the ideal NFL 3-4 inside linebacker for the better part of the last dozen years. Well, Jackson hails from Kathleen Senior High School in Lakeland, Florida, the same institution that produced the future Hall of Famer.
4. Jackson labels himself as an “old school” linebacker and even though he hasn’t played primarily in a 3-4 scheme, he feels his body makeup is perfect for the Colts defense.
5. Colts veteran linebackers coach Jeff Fitzgerald worked out Jackson a few weeks back. Ever since the East/West Shrine Game, Jackson felt the Colts were a team that coveted his skills.